Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dogs/Demons

http://www.mikedoughty.com/bespoke          new biz  models!.. love this shit!  we  should  B  DOING this   ALL over  this  orb!!!     ;)          

Dogs/Demons

FROM MIKE:
I’ve got a song called “Dogs/Demons”. It’s not on an album; it’s not available on the internet, or anywhere else. It’s available only on a digital voice recorder–the very one that the song was played into.
I’m releasing the song in individual versions: if you order a copy of “Dogs/Demons,” I will record a version for you on the same recorder I recorded it on. You’ll be able to plug it into a computer (cable is included), and copy it to your hard drive.
It will be an entirely individual performance–you will have the only, repeat ONLY, copy of that performance.
You can order “Dogs/Demons” by clicking here. The price is $543.09.
It’s available in a choice of three keys: C, D, or D-sharp.
There’s an optional bridge (at additional cost) for $267.18.
At the beginning of the recording of “Dogs/Demons,” I’ll say the date, time, location, the series number (like, “this is recording number 444″), and the full first, middle, and last name of the person who orders it. The recorder will be signed, and numbered, by me.
Here are examples of the options for “Dogs/Demons,” recorded on an actual recorder of the type it’s available on (be advised, there is one occurrence of strong language):
Example of “Dogs/Demons” in C:

Example of “Dogs/Demons” in D:

Example of “Dogs/Demons” in D-sharp:

Example of the optional bridge (at additional cost):

Example of the date, time, place at the top of the recording:

Photographs of the sort of voice recorder it will be recorded on:
Dogs/Demons
Dogs/Demons
Questions:
Q: Will there ever be a compilation of versions of this song released?
A: No. “Dogs/Demons” will NEVER be released in any other format–or recorded for an album, or in any other form than on the digital recorder, individually. Additionally, it will never be licensed to a movie, commercial, or television program; it will never appear on an album.
Q: Is this thing a piece of art, as in an objet d’art, or a sculpture? If so, does that mean I have all the rights an art collector has, with an art piece she/he bought?

A: Yes. So, you can sell it to somebody else for more than you paid for it–you can auction it off, you can exhibit it. All that stuff. If the curator judges certain requests to be those of a speculator buying as many as she/he can, the purchase may be declined.
Q: If I choose the optional bridge (at additional cost), what key will it be in?
A: The same key as the one you chose for the body of “Dogs/Demons”. Unfortunately, I’ll be unable to accommodate requests for key changes to the optional bridge (at additional cost).
Q: What format does the digital voice recorder record in?
A: MP3.
Q: I’m going to put a weird fake name in there, like Hoobop Skibbyskabby Lorbowl–will you say it?

A: No. Essential to this piece is the actual, full name of the person who purchases it. If your name is indeed along the lines of “Hoobop Skibbyskabby Lorbowl,” you may be asked to provide documentation proving this is indeed your name.
Q: I want to get “Dogs/Demons” in all three keys–can I get them on one recorder, at a discount?
A: Also essential to the piece is that there’s one song, on one recorder, so, unfortunately not.
Q: I hate my middle name! Will you omit it from my recording of “Dogs/Demons”?
A: Again, essential to this piece is the real, three-part name. If you have no middle name you may be asked to provide documentation; the same goes for multiple-middle-name possessors.
Q: I’d like the name of my friend, colleague, or partner said on my version of “Dogs/Demons,” as well as my own name, can you do that?
A: Alas, no: only one name can be in each recording.
Q: Can I buy this as a gift for a friend, and have her or his name said?

A: Yes. Remember that all the stuff pertaining to names would pertain to your spouse/uncle/fencing coach’s name as well.
Q: Can the signature on the back of the recorder be personalized?
A: Again, no, for artistic reasons.
Q: Since you performed and recorded this version of “Dogs/Demons” for me, personally, can I sell it, or license it to a third party, myself?

A: No. Just like buying a regular album, the artist still owns the license for it–there will doubtless be some sold person-to-person, or bootlegged, and I accept this as the nature of the world.
Q: Will “Dogs/Demons” be available FOREVER?
A: Probably not. It will be, at least, available until June 13th, 2013; at that point, an extension may be announced.
Q: Can I cover “Dogs/Demons,” and release it on an album of my own?
A: Yes. This is what’s called a “compulsory license”–anybody may record, or perform, a song, as long as the appropriate royalties are paid. If you wish to license your version of “Dogs/Demons” to somebody, you must contact me for approval.
Q: Is this piece reminiscent of a thing that Ray Johnson did with an art buyer, recounted in the film How to Draw a Bunny?

A: Yes.
Q: Can I request a personalized message to be said at the beginning of the recording?
A: Yes. There is an optional personalized message, but it will be subject to approval, in accordance with the integrity of the piece–for instance, “my rap name is Old Goofy Shithead” might be declined. Personalized messages, if approved, are available for $35,335.53 (not a typo–clearly this is intended to discourage requests for personal messages, but you can indeed purchase one, if you wish to). If you would like to order a recording with an optional personal message, contact curator@doughtybespoke.com.
So! Whether or not you’d like to purchase “Dogs/Demons,” I thank you for your listenership–and if you do buy it, I hope you enjoy the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment